Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The King is Dead...Long Live the King

This weekend was one of those rare October weekends that make this part of the country a great place to be . Warm, mild, cloudless, and a light breeze in the finest of Indian Summer traditions. Ironically, Columbus deserves some kudos here as well, because without him it would not have been a three day weekend of this perfect weather. This gift came on the heels of some truly miserable October weather. Three days of cold gusting north winds that left migrating Monarch butterflies strewn along the beach like the wreckage of some maritime disaster. They didn't stand a chance. The cold and the wind crushed the life out of them and they expired in droves all along the water's edge. So when I went down on Saturday for a little peace and quiet, I was greeted by this carnage. And so I made a little shrine for the Monarchs




I tried a few different things before I settled on the final arrangement and not having experience in the medium of butterflies, I'm not sure if it works, but I suppose it was better than the alternative.


Some leaves were turning and I needed an excuse to stay down longer so I also did a few leaf sketches to go alongside the butterflies. It was a less depressing exercise. So that was Saturday.
I had some more fun on Sunday, but I'll save that for later.




















































1 comment:

Josh Borowicz said...

As we say in Polish class, dobre, piekne, fajne. The colors and textures, bardzo ladnie.