Monday, October 31, 2011

The Skull of a Lake Monster and Other Assorted Things

Down at the beach on this cold, clean October weekend when I stumbled upon a marvel as rare as logic out of the mouth of a Republican candidate. There lying partially buried in the sands was the skull of a lake monster of the horned variety (horned in this case is pronounced with two syllables, as in hor-ned...sounds way cooler that way.) At least I think it was a lake monster skull. It was pretty far along in the petrification process, it kind of looked like wood, but the facial features were near unmistakeable. In the periods of time when I wasn't completely "astonied" by my find, I managed a small stick sculpture with a long tail of leaves. A comet, as it were, perhaps an omen related to the finding of the lake monster skull. The lake put the leaves there, I only did the stick part.


Now that the foliage is subject to biology and gravity the back of the sculpture is pretty visible and gives an interesting view in the early morning light breaking through the thinning screen of trees on the bluff.


On Sunday I went for a walk on the Peninsula out near Gull Point. The beach out there is where the scenes for "The Road" were shot and on this day it was just a sunnier version of desolation. I took some pictures of things that intrigued me. maybe I can use them later if I remember I put them here. Saw A Yellow-Billed Cuckoo, the first new bird I've seen on the peninsula in a long while.


Ancient writing in Sandskript....


A "tide pool" with some flotsam casting amoebic shadows on the sand....


Sugar coated vegetation, courtesy of sub-freezing temperatures....















No comments: