Monday, October 24, 2011

Close Calls

Big storms and a lot of October rain passed through the area last week and on the beach so did the waves. The surf line went up the the base of the bluff in some places and where the sculpture is, it washed past its base. The wall that was built in front of the sculpture was subjected to two days of surf cresting over it and when things finally subsided the retaining wall was largely disassembled. As you can see from the following two photos, little remains intact. If the wall were not there, the sculpture most likely would have come down in areas as well.

The center section was probably the only part of the wall that maintained some coarses still aligned. Some big 100 lb. plus stones were washed thirty yards down the beach. Others were washed away completely and may turn up in the next big storm, but are lost for now. You have to be impressed with those forces.

I knew I was in trouble when I saw these two logs washed up to the brush-line. Both of them were 40 footers and about 30 inces in diameter. You don't throw those things around unless you are pushing some serious waves for an extended period of time. I did a little reconstruction work, but you know that the November storms will erase anything I can put up if they get the chance. Fortunately , my friend Sisyphus said he would help.

This is a little painting I had done a while back which like the wall was wiped clean inadvertantly by someone who thought it needed dusting. It was part of the college's collection. So they returned it to me and I thought I'd ressurect it by repainting parts of it and frankly it works just as well in its recycled form. Unfortunately I do not know the name of the person who originally wiped the paint off, so I can't credit him in this collaboration.
Nice mustache, Josh.




No comments: