Friday, October 15, 2010

The Equinox in Review


















The Equinox has come and gone and we are well into a particularly dreary October. It is the kind of October that helps you understand why the movie, The Road was filmed here. A great movie, by the way, very powerful images and questions. Although it doesn't quite reach the book's level of raw, it was a good effort.




Anyways, the equinoctial celebration went off as planned, despite less than favorable weather. A steady wind coming off the lake made cold beer on the beach less of a pleasure, but it didn't stop us from trying. Thanks to everybody who came for this year's edition. It was a pleasure sitting around talking and equinoxing together. When I got down to the beach that morning, I was greeted by the staring eye on the stone (the second picture) and I knew everything would work out despite the weather. A sign from the gods, or Kris Risto, as the case turned out. I'm going to plug his show right now which opens at the Urarro Gallery here in Erie, Friday the 15th, 7:00-9:00. Go see it, I guarantee it will be good for your soul.


Back to the Equinox...I finished this year's Beachwork actually on the Equinox, the party was on the weekend two days later. I'm happy with the end result. There are, of course, some things I would do differently now, but erasing a section of stone sculpture is not an option, so I will just live with my mis-steps. The third picture is the first photo of the finished work, taken at the moment of completion.
At the bottom I did an Equinoctial flower for the event and there are some pictures of it before the rains came. I have to go now. I'll finish these thoughts later.





































1 comment:

Merrill Brace said...

So happy to have shared the Equinox with you and all in attendance, Jamie'
Peggy Brace