Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Crash of Waves

Well, that decision was made without consulting me. I was probably within a week or two of finishing this version of the Stonewave, when the Lake decided to have a say. Three days of wind out of the northwest turned the lake into what appeared to be a refuge for whitecaps. They couldn't hit the shore fast enough. Sometime during the first night the surf washed past 45 feet of beach and up and around the base of the Stonewave. It sucked out two or three courses of stone at the bottom of the sculpture along about twelve feet of the baseline.











The result was that the northwest corner of the structure decided to disengage from its previous relationship with the rest of the sculpture. The surf dragged some of these stones 50 yards down the beach and these base stones were four or five feet long and easily 100 lbs. The peak of the western wave didn't fall, but it was leaning pretty precariously, so to avoid some bizarre accident, I spent the weekend removing the hazardous stone.

And so begins the process of building this year's model. I really haven't got an idea yet. I'm waiting for the way to become clear. In the meantime I'm just stacking up the collapsed stone in piles. I have an idea where this one is going to go, but it's exact form eludes me, but there is plenty of time for things to come together.
On the painting front, I finished a small painting related to the textpedition from a couple of posts ago. It turned out OK, but I've got some bugs to work out before things progress to the next stage. If you are going to be in the Erie area over the next couple of weeks there will be a new NPAA show opening at the Mercantile Building on State Street (across from the comedy club). Along the lines of the Nuts and Boltz Show from last year, it should be a good show, better I think than the Spring Show, which I thought was a little lackluster this year. I thought the good stuff was good, but there was a bit too much that I thought leaned towards the mediocre. Still worth seeing though.

No comments: