Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Genesis III




In the Spring of 2007 I was able to reume work on the Stonewave. It survived the winter storms and ice dunes kept some of the early Spring storms at bay. The scraping of the dunes and the heavy storms also uncovered an extensive new crop of stone and I was able to start adding several courses of stone every time I went down to the beach and the result was the wave nearly doubled in size from May to October. This is what the wave looked like on the Autumnal Equinox of 2007...these two bottom shots. That day the light was beautiful and the stone lit up like gold.
When it ended the season before, the back of it arched out a bit so I thought I would experiment by placing a hole in the wall. There was no plan. I didn't align it with anything and in fact I didn't even think it would work, but it survived and in retrospect it would have been nice to align it with the setting sun or something. However, I didn't and it just looks out over the water when you stand behind the wall and look through it. It has however served an interesting function as time went by. People keep leaving things in the opening. I had starting placing interesting pieces of driftwood in the opening, or cool stones and then the next time I would go down they would be gone. Offerings to the gods. Then other people began to do it as well. Many years ago I went to Chaco Canyon and back then you were able to go down inside Casa Rinconada...I don't think you can do that anymore, but it was really awe-inspiring. In the niches around the interior of the wall, people (I assume to be indigenous locals) left offerings of tobacco or liquor in small bottles. So the opening seems to have taken on that role at times. This Spring some idiots started a fire in the opening causing some of the stones to explode and shatter, sending fragments shooting out of the niche. Other people have utilized the opening for target practice...trying to throw cobbles through the hole...by the looks of the number of marks around the hole they are not very good at this exercise....more later.






No comments: