Sunday, May 17, 2020

Birth of Venus Project


Right before the Corona virus thing I had begun working on a project where I was going to have a model pose for some iconic figure paintings from Art History. Knowing that most of these figural images were constructs, often not even utilizing live models and the end results were often physically impossible or anatomically improbable. The first one I wanted to do was the Birth of Venus by Botticelli, with its improbably long neck, dislocated left arm and sloping shoulders as well as it's engaged leg being far too far underneath her to keep her upright. So this is the result. I had hoped to make some corrections to the painting, but with everybody in quarantine, this is currently on hold. I do like the painting though and I did several other studies from the same model. I've included the ones that I like best.






No comments: