Monday, January 6, 2020

La Vie

The new year has started and I have survived another year of Trump. It is hard to lay low under all of that stupidity, malice and indecency. The passing of the solstice always gives me hope though. The days get longer, there is more light and I like to believe that metaphorically is going to be true of the future. 

I had surgery on my right hand in November and I have been rehabbing it aggressively since then. Dupuytren's Contracture, a genetic condition which in my case affected the tendon of my little finger. My first surgery, my first stitches, my first time under anesthesia...in general it was a pretty interesting experience. One of the surgeons took a photo of the hand while it was opened up, which I had him send to me. So here is my most recent self-portrait. My hands are the middle pair. Two students modeled for the top and mother's hands are on the bottom. She also has Dupuytren's, but never had the surgery. This was my last painting of 2019.

No comments: