Thursday, June 7, 2018

Beginning Another End


Couple of paintings from the month of May. Top one about 24" x 30" or so, pretty labor intensive.  This is the first of the paintings for which Rome was the source. Took a bunch of photographs of  various Roman ruins and did a lot of superimposition. The whole time I was working on it there were a number of unknowns. The preliminary sketch phase was a bit general so in the end I was doing some orchestrating . I worked from the bottom up and took a chance with the Pantheon dome and I think it worked out, certainly better than I had anticipated. The band of arches across the mid-section of the painting was an arcade from the Colosseum and I had to keep it from being too obvious and skated on the edge, but think it also held together.


The dead Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks from the previous post are in a plastic bag in my room at school. One of them did not make it. The entropy of biological decay. The second bird is still intact and posed for this picture..


1 comment:

John Edwards said...

Oh I like the blue one a lot.
That's about as deep as my art crit acquity gets lately.