Friday, April 27, 2018

Veni, Vidi and then it may have won, but it was close.

Had the opportunity to go to Rome for a bit over break. While there I was able to overdose on churches, Roman sites, museums and cultural what-not. Pretty exhausting series of 12 hour days seeing as much as could be seen and appreciated without going into overload. A delicate balancing act. Too many amazing things...Bernini, Caravaggio, Michelangelo, Raphael and a pleasant surprise  of Velazquez at the Doria Pamphilij and DaCortona at the Barberini. Christian churches and all of the included treasures, like catacombs, temples to Mithras and Baths turned sacred space. My favorite Roman sites were the ones that smelled of neglect...Augustus' Tomb and the Appian Way. Anyways, it was a welcome escape from Erie's endless winter.

Took a walk out the Appian Way on one of the last days as I was in need of some greenery. I can only spend so much time in a city before I need some detoxing. The Appian Way was a pretty interesting place to detox. I loved the fact that I could walk on those stones.


You can say a lot of things about the Romans good and bad, but these guys could build like nobody's business. Massive brick and marble structures are as common as crows on garbage night. It isn't always pretty, but it is not possible to ignore it. The brick business must have been a good business to be in.


This was a little treasure in the Roman Museum. Don't miss it. Livia's Dining Room. Apparently subterranean, to make it feel less oppressive the walls recreate a magic little garden almost as refreshing as a walk on the Appian Way, but certainly less strenuous.


Synchronized Track and Field...the next big thing for the Olympics. Screw the Half-pipe.


How I felt every evening when I retired to my local bar for a cold beer and some pizza.

No comments: