Monday, April 15, 2013

Silence Broken

So it has been a while since I have had time to update things, but I have a space right now to turn around in. I have been busy finishing up some paintings for a show that I had opening in early April and some other responsibilities. I did a lot of work on the beach as well so I have been busy making. But prior to March, I wasn't spending much time on the beach as the weather has been so bad, but I'd rather not dwell on that depressing stretch of winter.
 In preparation for the show at Campbell's Pottery, I did some practice pieces like the above piece. There was an abundance of sticks on the beach as of late so I worked up a couple of variations. I also continued to add to my cobble pile below.


This weekend I went down to check on it and either it was damaged by surf or by idiots. I'm not entirely sure which. I will restore it when I get the chance. It was getting pretty big. The stick project above was also damaged, but it could have been a dog and not an idiot.

I have been able to addto the west end of the wall as a large seam of stone was revealed when the ice dunes receded, so here is a shot of where we are as the season begins. Right now we are in the dangerous time. Ice dunes are gone and Spring storms can be pretty destructive. One has already approached the front of the wall. If it makes it through April, I'll have high hopes for survival, but there is no telling what freakish storms the lake has in store for us.

Here is a couple of shots of the ice dunes calving off and disappearing into the April lake. This was one of the few sunny days we had since February.

Even when the weather is unpleasant, this place can still pack a beautiful punch.

No comments: