Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Waiting for the End of White

Greetings Minnesotans. Thanks for the BD wishes. All goes well here as I advance towards decrepitude.
As of late I have been working with white a lot. Some years ago I became familiar with Kasimir Malevich's white paintings and at first I didn't know what to make of them, but after seeing a few in real life I was fascinated by the subtlety. Jasper Johns' White Flag is another brilliant work in white. And one of my former students, Justus Cotterill, has been doing these great paintings involving sharks/boats/water/shacks that are like white-washed Richard Diebenkorns. Beautiful...beautiful. Of a sudden I think I just came of age when I could really understand how spectacular white could be. It was all just good timing, so I've been working out some things with white. On the weekend while down at the beach it became really clear where all of this was coming from, a little epiphany on whititudness.


I haven't been down to the beach much this calendar year so far, as the conditions haven't been great. The few times I went down there just wasn't any mojo. Lots of wind and bitter temperatures, but not much in the way of mojo. This weekend I went down just to see if the snow was doing anything interesting to the stones...not much luck. But here is a shot of the stones in the snow and then one from the summer for comparison purposes.






I got one small piece done in February and a second much larger piece close to completion. Both images are part of the Pattern Recognition Project. This one you might recognize from Fungi and Games. I like the way it turned out. I'll post the bigger piece next week.




No comments: