Thursday, January 28, 2010

A New Part to a New Piece




I've been working on a new piece that is 36" x 24", consisting of several seperate images mounted puzzle fashion on a big aspen board. Continuing explorations of elemental beach furniture, like sticks, cobbles, skipping stones and dead fish, this piece is probably the most complex of the bunch so far, that I refer to as Pattern Recognition. One piece of which is currently hanging at Mercyhurst College and was on one of the earlier posts entitled Asteroid Impact, another is currently down at Glassgrowers Gallery and a third is in a private collection. This version is a couple of days from completion and I'm really liking the balance between the repetition of simple forms and the complexity of their interaction. The fact that the forms are all organic but are painted on clearly delineated quadrangles also creates a nice dynamic. I'm also enjoying beating certain color combinations to death in the painting. The image above is one small section of the painting about 10" x 10" and is derived from a big fish skull I found on the beach and some photos of a few of last Spring's more impressive dead fish offerings from the lake. Now that the 100 Views project is over for the most part, and the Requiem for the Peten has yet to find a new incarnation, this Pattern Recognition project could keep me busy for a while and I suppose it is time for a change. Next week or so I'll try to photograph the completed work. In an unrelated matter, I don't know if I know who Sara Olive is, but thanks for the kind words.

No comments: