Monday, October 26, 2009

Asteroid Impact



Down at the beach to do a little work this weekend. The sun came out for the second time this month and the light was beautiful. The beach was raked by some serious surf twice this week leaving behind an abundance of stone and wood, but not much beach. So I spent most of the day stockpiling. While I was working, I heard this loud shrieking in the sky and looked up in time to see an asteroid heading my way. Fortunately I had my camera with me and snapped this shot at the moment of impact. It slammed into the Stonewave with such force that a giant mushroom cloud enveloped the northern hemisphere causing drastic climate change and causing all the dinosaurs to go extinct and the end of the world as we know it....at least that's the way I remember it. Or it could just be a piece of driftwood sitting on the stones. Yeah, I think that's it, now that I look a little closer. Yeah that's it. But it looks a little like an asteroid doesn't it? So hopefully you can understand my confusion.
Just finished this painting. With all of the stuff washing in lately it was on my mind. So I thought I'd play around with it a bit. Hope you like it.
And for the guy who asked about the fossil (I can't remember the name, Hellbrunn or something like that). I found it just like that. Split pretty smoothly along the face and unabashedly showing its golden ratio for all to see.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I really, really like the photograph and especially the new painting...

This evening a friend and I were rehearsing in my room and she noticed your paintings hanging on my wall. She really liked them.
To repay her for her good taste and kind words, I told her a number of epic tales about their creator.

It's good you have this blog and that I know you have this blog because sometimes the Hudson, the East River and the Atlantic just don't do it for me...
So thank you.