Monday, June 1, 2009

Sunset and the Second Stonewave

This weekend was just about as close to perfect as one can get, sunny but not scorching, breeze but not a wind, and a lot of empty beach. I probably spent about four hours of quiet, uninterrupted work on the new Stonewave. And on top of all that two magnificent sunsets to close the day. The next three shots are Saturday's sunset in three acts about three or four minutes apart.
People from Erie will tell you that we have great sunsets and give some stat like we rank in the top ten or something. I don't know the origin of this claim and I'm sure there is some rationale for it, but I can't imagine how that is determined. I know we get a lot of snow. It's easily measured, but how does one measure sunsets? With a sunsetometer, perhaps? The claim is clearly unsubstantiatable (Is that a word?). But I will say this; if you go 5 consecutive days without seeing an absolutely soul-wrenching, pyrotechnically spectacular solar decline, then you are not in Erie.
Work continues on the Stonewave. This one is not as tall as the first, but is already twice as long. It is finally starting to look like a wave of sorts. Lots of stone has been washing up so I've been working slowly. I'm to the point where anything that is to be added will be new stone. The old Stonewave is now completely metamorphosed into what you see below.



The contour along the top will start looking a little more wave like. The plan is kind of an undulating line running from the highest point on the left to the lower end on the right. It will start to look more interesting I think once that starts to take shape.



I like this little gap between the first two segments of the wall. You can see some green between the stone which feels right. I'd like to get a better shot of this when the stone is lit up with late afternoon gold.

PS to the Walden fish enthusiast. Thanks for sharing your observations. Always a pleasure to hear from the piscean inclined.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be there in a week or so to see the wave in person. I hope it doesn't wash out, away, though one understands that this is what waves are wont to do, even stone ones.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. Borowicz,

Have enjoyed following this site and been meaning to say hello for a while. Hope all is well- I'm not sure if you want to publish your email on your blog, but here is mine: diptirbhatt@hotmail.com, would love to catch up. I'm working on my MA now in arth, on the phd track. I blame you :)...

Dipti
(mps 05')

Anonymous said...

oops, that's supposed to say mps 01'!