Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The First Big Stone Harvest


Fourth of July weekend brought about the first good days for stone harvesting. Each day during the four day weekend the lake grew clearer and more calm. I could see the bottom even in chest deep water. Occasionally there are even clearer days, but this was the first in a long time so I spent a lot of time hauling rocks. The bottom pictures show the Wave with the season's first crop lying about. This was the beginning of the first real progress made on the project this summer. The next three pictures show the July 4 harvest. A lot of big stones and a lot of good stones, so much progress was made. There were also a lot of visitors who stopped by to chat which is always interesting.
I have been working on the second wave...the rear portion of the sculpture. It is now about as tall as the front wave. Since the July 4 weekend I've been able to get in here and there, so the stone supply is still sufficient. Things continue to take shape but my hands are getting beaten up pretty good, so a day or two off won't hurt things.
The Stone Flower from a couple of posts back has survived now for about a month. I add to it occasionally and I think some other people do as well.
I bought a new digital camera and shot the first pictures of the Stonewave with it today, so from this point on the pictures should be a little better than the pictures from the point and shoot camera that I had been using since my 35 mm was stolen. I just need to figure out how to download them...


























1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jamie,
I just about dropped my teeth when I saw Janet's wonderful pix. I enjoy her work anyway but am thrilled to find your work. Congrats on your Anthropology work.

I want to see Stone wave before it's moved. Is it too late?
Charles Kennedy, Jr.
charles@charleskennedyjr.com

Thanks again and God bless you.