Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Stonelines II









The beach in the late fall or early spring is a perfect space for a long project. Nobody really comes down
because of the wind and cold and between storms you can get a week or two of calm surf so the work is not disturbed by man or nature and one can get a piece to last for a while before it is erased. This serpentine line of cobbles was one such sketch. I've always liked nature's serpentine images like the view of rivers from a plane, etc. Goldsworthy's serpentine images always look right. The first one I tried was on a beach along the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon about six years ago. This one started out as a small wandering line and at the end of the afternoon it looked like it wasn't finished, so the following weekend I added to it and it doubled in length and really started to look like it belonged. I was toying with some additional work when a midweek storm erased the serpent. So it goes.
During one winter weekend, I went down and for lack of other options I made a little ice dune serpent that crawled from the shore up and over the ice dunes out toward the lake.
This series of sketches hasn't played itself out and I'm hoping for some time and conditions to allow for a summer version.

No comments: